Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Changing Directions



So far, I've used Roger's Access Blog as a sort of introductory Access textbook. In my "Access 101" posts, I've attempted to explain some of those concepts that other websites and blogs assume the reader has previous knowledge of. I'm not nearly finished. There's a lot more to cover. In fact, I'm currently in the middle of exploring some of the more obscure types of queries: totals queries, crosstab queries, pass-through queries, etc. Eventually, I'll take this series back up.

But I'm going to take a break from that to explore something new to me. Access 2010 and SharePoint 2010 have jointly produced an answer to the perennial question: "How can I put my Access database on the Web?"

With Access 2007, it was possible to have your database Back-End in a SharePoint list where users can access data across the web, but the Front-End application still needed the Access client, either Access itself or the Run-time.

But with the introduction of Access 2010 and Access Services in SharePoint 2010, it is now possible to also push your Front-End application to the web as well. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that you can push an existing Access application to the web unmodified. Access Services has specific requirements for database and application design. These requirements are the things I will be exploring over the next few months.

This is all new to me, so it will be a journey of exploration more than a tutorial. I may make some mistakes and say some things in error. As I discover these, I'll go back and amend my posts so no factual errors are perpetuated. For that, I'd be happy for comments that correct my errors. As an MVP, I'm supposed to be an "expert", but outside of the Access development team, there aren't many experts in this new technology.

So, hopefully, we can become experts together.

Editorial note: Normally, it is frowned on for bloggers to edit their posts too dramatically.  However, since this is a factual, rather than opinion series, I'm going to edit posts for accuracy and as new information arises.  So when anyone leaves a comment that corrects information or provides new information, I will try to incorporate that into the existing article (with attribution, of course).  I think it is more important to keep correct information in the web than to attempt to prove that I am always "right".
.

2 comments:

grovelli said...

Have a nice trip Roger and report back often ;-)

Anonymous said...

What are the benefits to putting your Access 2010 database onto Sharepoint? Your limited to the design capabilities on a web database. You can only go into the layout view but not the design view, right? I would love to hear why you think Sharepoint and a web database is more functional than not.